Friday, August 7, 2009

Japan in June ('09)...more to do pt. 2

There does always seem more to do and or get done. At the beginning of the week we started by going for some fish. The Tsukiji market was not very busy by the time we arrived so getting a seat at the bar was easy. Unfortunately my favorite chef was not out front but instead in the back doing some prep work. He(Eddie) and I made plans to hang out in the middle of the week. Yasu has a business dinner so it worked out perfectly. WE chatted briefly with him but our main chef was not a talker. We ordered soem great fish and stayed probably an hour as opposed to my usual two or three or four. Yasu had an appointment in the afternoon so we really did not want to head home and have to come back out. WE opted to head to Shinjuku to pass the time. We walked around got some coffee and then walked some more. We ended up in Kabuki-cho. A fun place. By day somewhat reserved but at night until the wee hours of the morning it is a bustling place where all seems to be going on at the same time, legal or not.

We stayed clear of the hostess clubs and instead decided to bowls a few rounds. Now, I thought i had some skills in this game but I was sadly mistaken. There were a few initial challenges, the first being getting the shoes taht would fit. The machine did not have them but the front desk did, that was easy enough. The second was a bit more of a challenge. We wanted to play ten pin so I had to find a ball that had holes in it that were large enough for my fingers. This was the big challenge and one that I was never really satisfied with. Every ball seemed to be just tight enough that the ball would not realease at the proper time, at least taht is what I convinced myself of. The ball and pins just never got that right connection. I think there was a conspiracy going on, the system just would not allow either of us to break the 100 mark. A SAD showing all around but lots of fun. I wish I could say I won both games but alas, I would be telling a fib. We left with me vowing to get my revenge and to also find a way to break that magical 100 number. We had just enough time to make the apointment Yasu had. He took care of business and I just hung around. When he was done it was dinner time.

A friend of Yasu`s owns an African restaurant so we headed there. By the time we got to the neighbothood we were both pretty hungry. You would think all would have been fine, but Nooo, the place was closed for renovations. The owner was there so we had a few drinks chatted a bit and sat through a tremendous thunder storm. The rain was coming down iin buckets. We had another drink. The rain finally subsided and we headed off with the understanding that we would be back for the opening this coming weekend. We were famished so we just went into the first place that had some sort of a selection. It was a Royal Host. One steak and one order of fried Oysters. I had the shellfish. Time to head home. It was a long day but a good time. The forcast continues to have rain as the headline. Tuesday would be a day to get some domestic work done. I also had alot of paperwork to complete for MIT, half of which I was also to get done online. I am still working on lists and introduction letters. It is keeping me busy. I had forgotten about the number of forms and passwords that are required to get started. And the endless number of acronyms to learn......they go on and on and on. I spent most of the day on the computer or cleaning some part of the apartment.

Wednesday came pretty fast. It was cloudly but no rain. I spent the morning finishing up paperwork and had an early lunch. Around 3 I headed out to meet Eddie. He had to work a half day so I just met him at Tsukiji. We decided that a shabu-shabu would be a nice dinner. All you can eat in an hour and a half. Prior to getting there though we had a few drinks and nosh at an izakaiya Shibuya, This happens to be Eddie`s old stomping ground. He knew the owners of the place so it felt like old home week. Half way through our first beer Eddie though of a different option for dinner. He also worked for Iron Chef Sakai(French) at one point a number of years back His restaurant was around the corner from where we were. I thought that was a cool idea. Having dinner possibly with an Iron Chef.

We made our way over to La Rochelle, having made reservations beforehand. We were greeted by at least a half dozen of Eddie`s former co-workers. The reunion was fun. Unfortunately Chef Sakai was not there. He was away doing a television spot. The menu also changed and they did not have the buffet option we were hoping for. What to do?...a few more drinks and then back to the shabu-shabu choice. Before leaving La Rochelle, we got a tour of the kitchen and met the Grand Chef, Kudoh. He also was a regular on Iron Chef as Sakai`s second in charge. The kitchen was immaculate. The floors were even covered in carpeting --bright red, that was a first for me. I would not even have carpeting on my own kitchen floor. By the time we made it to the dinner we were famished. I was alboe to put away three and ahalf plates of meat and veggies, Eddie bested me and ate four. The food was good, filling and the company alot of fun. I hit the trains and made it back home 10 minutes after Yasu arrived. Perfect timing.
Thursday is anotehr day to stay in. I have more work to get done so I will just go shopping and cook at home. Yasu may have a late work day but it is up in the air how late. When he does get home we will plan wha to do during my last weekend for this trip.
Happy reading
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment